2.25.2014

Pay It Forward

{via}


This morning, before leaving town to start seeing my patients for the day, I decided to make a quick stop at Starbucks for a black coffee and a banana. (These aren't typically items that one has to go to Starbucks for, but I didn't get around to the grocery store this weekend. We all have our weaknesses, and sometimes, after a long week, I like to do nothing on the weekend.)

When I pulled up to Starbucks, I noticed the drive-thru line was long - like, really long; however, as I was about to park, the line began to move. So I took my chances.

Much to my surprise, it didn't take long for me to order and get to the window. As I pulled up and began to hand my card over to the guy, he informed me that the lady in front of me had paid for my order. 

This has actually happened to me a few times (mostly around Christmas), but every time I'm immediately flooded with gratefulness. It's such a small gesture, but it's so thoughtful and generous. 

After being taken back by her generosity, I proceeded to pay for the car behind me. When I told the guy behind the window I wanted to do so, he threw his arms in the air and shouted with excitement as if he had just made the winning basket at the buzzer of a championship basketball game. 

I just smiled and waited for an explanation for his behavior... 

He then went on to explain I was the seventh consecutive person in line to pay it forward. So every one in front of me in that line had their order paid for by the person in front of them, which is pretty awesome. It honestly made my day - and I wondered all day how long this gesture continued. 

It was a great reminder that people are good and generous. 

2 comments:

heidi said...

i absolutely love reading stories like this - it gave me a chill to read the barista's reaction! i never go through drive-thrus or stop at coffee shops but this almost makes me want to so i can experience that feeling of paying for the person behind me and paying it forward. like you said, such a simple gesture that really makes a huge impact on someone's day. thank you so much for sharing this!

Melanie said...

That really is awesome. I've given coupons or gift card balances and stuff to the person behind me, but never this. How cool!

Melanie @ UnraveledThreads