3.10.2011

Tutorial: Knotted Bun Up-do

I finally got around to recording the tutorial for a knotted bun up-do! The video is kind of long (sorry), but I pride myself on being thorough. (Actually, I could still be thorough without being long, but I only recored this once. I usually record a couple times and figure out what really needs to be said vs. me just rambling - like I am now.)

This bun is easy to do and takes very little time - especially for being visually interesting. I mentioned in the video, and I'll say it here, tying your hair in a knot can be frustrating. It took me a while to get it down, so don't get discouraged if you have trouble initially. Just practice. 

The hairstyle is so versatile! It can easily be worn to class, work, on the weekend, on a date, or a night out with the girls. You can tie the knot low for a romantic feel or up higher where a ponytail might sit. You can also comb hair back for a more clean, finished look or pull pieces out (like I did) for a more messy, effortless look - it's all up to you. Good luck!

Here's what I used:
Dirty hair 
Dry shampoo
Texturing spray/balm
Spin hair pins (optional)
Bobby pins 
Teasing comb
Hairspray

See a picture of the bun here


23 comments:

Gertrude said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Loved the 'you need dirty hair' part haha! I hope I can manage to do this. Have been trying to knot my hair during the video, without any luck yet! x

Kaye said...

Great tutorial. Can't wait to try it!

srochellephotography said...

Great tutorial! It makes a lot more sense now with the step by step directions :)

Rochelle

http://rochelleapproved.tumblr.com/

Sandy a la Mode said...

thank you thank you thank you! i LOVE your vlogs girl!! :)

Unknown said...

Great tutorial! I can't wait to try it. :)

In Kinsey's Closet said...

So cute! I love hairstyles I can do with dirty hair :0)

Collette Osuna said...

LOVE the tutorial...sweet accent you have hunnie!!! Ive never used dry shampoo before....I think I might try it:)

Stop by and say Hello♥
Statements in Fashion Blog♥

Kristin said...

You are too cute! What a great tutorial! I felt like we were girlfriends, just hanging out, talking about hair. Thanks for the inspiration to get my hair out of the far too simple pony tails I've been wearing too much of lately.

Kelly said...

Awesome! I've never tried knotting my hair before.
I'll definitely have to try this.

Melody said...

Thanks for sharing! I love an easy messy up do.. can't wait to try it!

Kileen said...

great tutorial!! i will have to try this out. :)

cute and little

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

LOVELY! Great tutorial, girl! :) I heart your videos.

Michelle Lee said...

great tutorial :)

want to hear your thoughts on MCM bags and lines @
http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com
-Michelle (singer from Korea)

Melodys Voice said...

Thanks.

What do you use to capture your videos?

melodyepellegrin[at]gmail[dot][com]

Learning said...

What a fabulous tutorial! I can't wait to give it a try ;). Do you have a favorite brand of dry shampoo? I have never tried it before, but it looks quite helpful!

Thanks,

Angela

http://fashionablylearning.blogspot.com/

mgrasso09 said...

I love these hair tutorials, Linley! Keep them coming... my hair is similar to yours and I'm always looking for things to do with it!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I just found your blog from WobiSobi and I love it! I can't wait to work my way through your archives, stalker that I am!!

I'm your new follower.

Sarahx

Angie said...

Rocking my double knot today! Thanks for the great tutorial. I will post a pic of it today on my blog :-)

xox,
Angie

thehotnessyourmommawarnedyouabout.blogspot.com

meghan said...

Thanks for recording that. I want to try it when my hair gets longer! I'm a bit jealous of your thick locks...I think I have about as much hair as half of your half. :)

Anonymous said...

This is genius! I tried it as I was watching the video (luckily my hair is definitely dirty as I went to the beach yesterday and still haven't showered...I knew there was a reason I was procrastinating on that!) and voila! It worked perfectly! And my hair is notorious for not holding any type of style other than straight and limp so thank you for giving me a new option! =)
-Lindsay

GoodFrameofMind said...

Girl, your voice is too cute! Can't wait to try this do!

kimmie said...

I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for the awesome tutorial, Linley!!

♥ just a girl ♥ said...

This is excellent! Thanks for posting up with such clear instructions ;) Can't wait to try it with my super long hair!